Sports infrastructure in India is not up to the mark. Poor nations like Fiji, Jamaica and Kenya are delivering amazing performance.
We are a country of 1.3 billion people, we still are getting only 2 medals in the Olympics.
In ancient time games such as Playing Cards, Polo, Snakes and Ladders, Chess, the martial arts of Judo and Karate were developed in India and these games were transferred to foreign countries from here, where they were further developed.
The famous Hindu epic Mahabharata describes an incident where a game called Chaturanga was played between Pandavas and Kauravas.
Mahabharata was written by a saint named Vyas around 800 BC to 1000 BC. In some form or the other, the game continued till it evolved into chess.
The question of the hour is, how such a country with a rich sports culture score so poorly now?
Lack of proper sports infrastructure : In India, we only know Cricket honestly. Cricket development is above excellent which is great, but the problem is Government never works wholeheartedly towards sports infrastructure development. It is not that they are not working to fix the issue, they are indeed. They spent a heavy sum of 46 crores, but according to data, only 6 crores reached.
Corruption: India is diseased with corruption. Sadly, in many sports organizations. Just imagine the situation of a normal struggling sportsman.favors, politicians are working as the head. Their partisanship and bigotry cannot be explained in words. Our star batsman Virat Kohli was asked for
Bigotry in the selection of players : Players are selected on the basis of religion, caste, background and status. Rich gets away with money, but the poor talented sportsman is denied the opportunity.
Such sectarianism persists even while selecting players to represent our country at the Olympics.
Denial of Olympic Games amongst us : People hardly care about Olympics. Cricket is the heart-throb. Sadly, we do not promote Olympic games aggressively. Even we don’t encourage people to watch them.
Most of the sports channel run Cricket matches to get more TRP. They don’t promote Olympic games as that won’t benefit them monetarily.
Education System: We live in a country where engineering and medical are considered to be a parameter of success.
I know a star footballer who can do back shot goals, long shot goals and crossbar goals becoming an engineer. He has played on a national level.
I know many such talented sports people who pursued conventional studies over passion due to lack of encouragement and training.
How can we solve this big problem?
1. We should fire all politicians who are holding a portfolio in a different sports organization.organization. Rules should be drafted to ensure only sports persons are allowed to be a part of a sports
2. IPL type of league events should be organized in India to promote different Olympic games. In every state, more sports facilities should be given. Channels should be forced to promote Olympic games.
3. An Olympic committee comprising of retired players and coaches should be made. They should supervise the whole process.
4. The government should give more certificates to the district, state and national level players to boost them up. Motivation and encouragement need to be given.
5. The public should understand the importance of sports. Awareness programs should run. They should be asked to respect sports persons.
5. Selectors should be fired instead, committee.sports persons should be held responsible for the selection process. They would work under the aegis of retired
6. The education system needs to be changed. After every academic year student will go through a series of skill development and identification tests to find out where they are good at. Maybe Ram is good at Chess, while Shyam is excellent at singing. This test should be made compulsory.
In each working day, one class should be devoted to nurturing those skills religiously. Gradually the workload should be increased. If a child is doing exceptionally well he should be encouraged to take part in state/national level competitions.
Monetary awards should be given to district, state and national level players. They should be given employment as well.
So basically we need to change the education system from being money-centric to skill-centric system.
Where we follow the Kartavya system of Mahabharata thereby having a mentor led education.
I rest my case Here…!! Waiting For Tokyo 2020